Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A Sweet Breakthrough!

My little Annalise has been attending a nearby Vacation Bible School that my friend Melony had recommended. This VBS is held at a church that we do not attend and do not know anyone. Because Melony's daughter is the same age and grade as Annalise, I had assumed they would be together and they were not. Typically, when Annalise is in these situations it isn't pretty. She has a tendency to grab my leg and hold on for dear life while crying all of the reasons she doesn't want to go in with all those eyes staring at her. So, I had decided that I would make this VBS optional as it is a FUN Summer event and not "required." She surprisingly new the situation and agreed to go. I still had my reservations as she can easily say one thing and then find herself there and completely change her mind. So, I had to make a plan...different from all others. This trip to a new class would be WITHOUT mommy! Another friend of mine, Jess, said she would take Annalise as she was also taking her own daughter to VBS.

And it was a great idea!

Jess said that Annalise looked a little hesitant when they arrived, yet said she was okay to go in (this is after standing outside waiting for her teacher who was running late). I was also told by Jess, prior to her taking Annalise, that if Annalise doesn't want to go in, "I want to be her friend and take her back to her mommy." Well, that DIDN'T happen and she went in! It is now day 3 of the VBS and Annalise is thriving and loving the program and making new friends! She can't stop talking about it and is excited each morning when leaving my house! I'm so proud of her! That girl surprises me sometimes!

I'm now seeing a glimpse of what her one day in school might look like in the fall. I'm still nervous, but comforted in knowing that it's possible :)

I think one of the greatest things I'm learning about parenting is the letting go part. It's not easy, but it is healthy. And I know that even though this was just a little picture of letting go, it is just another small step in helping me in prepare for the harder "letting go" in our future.

2 comments:

Cassie - Homeschooling Four said...

Kids are always so full of surprises. I just love that she is enjoying herself!

Kelly said...

Yeah... Baby steps!!! Hope you are well!!!